PRINCETON, New Jersey, Jan. 29, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — Miami International Holdings, Inc. (MIH) today reported the 2019 year-end trading activity for its three fully electronic options exchanges – MIAX®, MIAX PEARL® and MIAX Emerald™ (together, the MIAX Exchange Group™), with MIAX PEARL, MIAX Emerald and the MIAX Exchange Group setting new market share and volume records […]
PRINCETON, New Jersey, Jan. 29, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — Miami International Holdings, Inc. (MIH) today reported the 2019 year-end trading activity for its three fully electronic options exchanges – MIAX®, MIAX PEARL® and MIAX Emerald™ (together, the MIAX Exchange Group™), with MIAX PEARL, MIAX Emerald and the MIAX Exchange Group setting new market share and volume records over the course of the year.
|Trading Volume for MIAX Exchange Group,
|Equity Options Contracts||Dec-19||Dec-18||%Chg.||Nov-19||% Chg.||Dec-19||Dec-18||% Chg.|
|U.S. Equity Options Industry||373,792,463||376,883,978||-0.8%||357,882,106||4.4%||4,420,542,768||4,572,482,342||-3.3%|
|MIAX Exchange Group||36,464,337||36,720,823||-0.7%||35,880,024||1.6%||439,614,442||421,320,501||4.3%|
|Equity Options ADV||Dec-19||Dec-18||% Chg.||Nov-19||% Chg.||Dec-19||Dec-18||% Chg.|
|U.S. Equity Options Industry||17,799,641||19,835,999||-10.3%||17,894,105||-0.5%||17,541,836||18,217,061||-3.7%|
|MIAX Exchange Group||1,736,397||1,932,675||-10.2%||1,794,001||-3.2%||1,744,502||1,678,568||3.9%|
|Equity Option Market Share for MIAX Exchange Group,
|Equity Options Market
|Dec-19||Dec-18||% Chg.||Nov-19||% Chg.||Dec-19||Dec-18||% Chg.|
|MIAX Exchange Group||9.76%||9.74%||0.1%||10.03%||-2.7%||9.94%||9.21%||7.9%|
2019 Market Share and Volume Records:
|MIAX Exchange Group||MIAX Exchange Group Records|
|Single Day||Market Share||11.98%||October 7, 2019|
|Volume||2,901,043||August 23, 2019|
|Monthly||Market Share||10.75%||April 2019|
|Quarterly||Market Share||10.06%||Q4 2019|
|MIAX PEARL||MIAX PEARL Records|
|Single Day||Market Share||6.79%||June 26, 2019|
|Quarterly||Market Share||5.62%||Q1 2019|
|MIAX Emerald||MIAX Emerald Records|
|Single Day||Market Share||1.32%||April 3, 2019|
|Volume||249,353||April 3, 2019|
|Monthly||Market Share||0.98%||April 2019|
|Quarterly||Market Share||0.90%||Q4 2019|
Other 2019 achievements and announcements include:
- Successfully launched volatility options trading on the SPIKES® Volatility Index (Ticker: SPIKE) on February 19, 2019; its first proprietary trading product.
- Won the “Most Innovative Exchange Technology” category at the Fund Technology and WSL Awards 2019.
- Joined the MIAX Exchange Group following a successful launch on March 1, 2019.
- Reached 1% market share on April 2, 2019, 23 days following launch.
- Announced acquisition of a controlling interest in the Bermuda Stock Exchange.
- Announced partnership with the Minneapolis Grain Exchange, Inc. (MGEX) pursuant to which MGEX will serve as the exclusive exchange to list, trade and clear futures products on the SPIKES Volatility Index, subject to regulatory approval.
- Announced partnership with Advanced Fundamentals, LLC (Advanced Fundamentals), an owner and developer of next generation beta indexes, to develop a complex of proprietary financial products based on Advanced Fundamentals’ commercial real estate indexes (CRE Indexes) and which are expected be listed exclusively on the MIAX Exchange Group beginning in 2020, subject to regulatory approval.
- Announced partnership with MidChains, an upcoming digital asset trading exchange based in Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM) seeking to operate under the Financial Services Regulatory Authority (FSRA) framework, to pursue joint technology licensing and product listing opportunities internationally, following MIH’s agreement to purchase an equity stake in MEEG Holdings Limited, the parent holding company of MidChains.
- Announced that it had partnered with a number of industry-leading liquidity providers and market makers to launch MIAX PEARL Equities, a cash equities exchange under MIAX PEARL’s exchange license expected to launch in Q3 2020, subject to SEC approval. Partnering firms include CTC Trading Group, Hudson River Trading, IMC, Simplex Trading, Susquehanna Securities, and Two Sigma Securities.
- Announced that the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) of the United States Patent and Trademark Office invalidated all claims asserted by Nasdaq under six of its patents in its infringement complaint against MIH, determining that all such claims were unpatentable under current law.
|Corporate Communications Contact:||Dominique Prunetti-Miller|
About MIH and the MIAX Exchange Group
Miami International Holdings, Inc. (MIH) is the parent holding company of Miami International Securities Exchange, LLC (MIAX®), MIAX PEARL, LLC (MIAX PEARL®) and MIAX Emerald, LLC (MIAX Emerald™ and together with MIAX and MIAX PEARL, the MIAX Exchange Group™), three fully electronic options trading exchanges.
MIAX, MIAX PEARL and MIAX Emerald leverage the MIAX Exchange Group’s industry-leading technology and infrastructure to provide their member firms with traditional pricing and pro rata allocation (MIAX), maker-taker pricing and price-time allocation (MIAX PEARL) market structures, and a hybrid market structure with maker-taker pricing and pro rata allocation (MIAX Emerald).
MIAX Options serves as the exclusive exchange venue for cash-settled options on the SPIKES® Volatility Index (Ticker: SPIKE), a measure of the expected 30-day volatility in the SPDR® S&P 500® ETF (SPY).
The MIAX Exchange Group’s executive offices and National Operations Center are located in Princeton, NJ, with additional offices located in Miami, FL.
MIH also owns a controlling interest in the Bermuda Stock Exchange.
To learn more about MIH and the MIAX Exchange Group visit www.MIAXOptions.com.
Disclaimer and Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
The press release shall not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to purchase any securities of Miami International Holdings, Inc. (together with its subsidiaries, the Company), and shall not constitute an offer, solicitation or sale in any state or jurisdiction in which such offer; solicitation or sale would be unlawful. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements describe future expectations, plans, results, or strategies and are generally preceded by words such as “may”, “future”, “plan” or “planned”, “will” or “should”, “expected,” “anticipates”, “draft”, “eventually” or “projected”. You are cautioned that such statements are subject to a multitude of risks and uncertainties that could cause future circumstances, events, or results to differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements, including the risks that actual results may differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements.
All third-party trademarks (including logos and icons) referenced by the Company remain the property of their respective owners. Unless specifically identified as such, the Company’s use of third-party trademarks does not indicate any relationship, sponsorship, or endorsement between the owners of these trademarks and the Company. Any references by the Company to third-party trademarks is to identify the corresponding third-party goods and/or services and shall be considered nominative fair use under the trademark law.